Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Commonly Misunderstood

As a woman living in a home with 3 males to include one adult (my hubby) and two rising teens (my sons age 13 and 16) I am astutely aware of the differences between males and females.

Let's just start with movies - romantic comedies vs. action. Or how about topics of conversation - feelings and cars. Or how about sex vs. intimacy.

Well, I need not tell you that we were not created equally and yet we must have been designed  to bring out the best in one another. I am not convinced that we should live together but I am convinced that God brought us together to keep us on our knees.

I have often joked that God must have been kidding when He put men and women in the same four walls and that it was His way of making sure that we depend on Him for our needs to be met, instead of each other.

My best friend and I sometimes joke that if it weren't for the fact that we aren't attracted to one another that we should be married. We negotiated that we should have a giant house with a family room and master suite in the middle to get together with our spouses when the moment is right. Aside from that, the bathroom and kitchen are our game and they would always be clean.

Just tonight I introduced my family to Brene' Brown on Ted X and the topic of Vulnerability. They obliged and listened attentively, well, until they got up, but none the less they were available to be with me. That was followed by each of us picking an artist and lyrics to sing - karaoke style.  My youngest picked David Bowie as he is the latest phenomenon since passing and I picked Sarah McLaughlin "Push" and "Answer" which are two songs that resonated with me while traveling in Zambia. My oldest picked a song that had a lot to do with saying "no" instead of "yes"  - teenager? I think yes...

In each of these songs there was a message about how we need each other and how we interpret our roles and relationships differently. I am convinced that we will never figure each other out and yet there seems to be a level of acceptance in this notion.

I think I will just keep getting girl dogs and pretending to be understood by my awesome men!

No comments:

Post a Comment