Monday, March 21, 2016

The ...Dot, Dot, Dot Experience

Sometimes we don't get to pick what happens in our days. Wait- we never really get to pick since we only know the moment we are in. I have had what I call the ...  (dot, dot, dot) experience of my life as my son has not been feeling well for about 5 days. My ... experience has included kisses on the forehead to take his temp, fluffing pillows, drawing a bath, snuggle bugging on the couch and checking in to see how I can serve him.

I realized this blessing in the midst of having "a plan" that got dissed when I woke up this morning. The plan was to clean the house, do laundry and generally get things back in order after a weekend of guests. I still feel compelled to try and get it done but I know that my pull to over-function is my way of managing anxiety. I have the opportunity to serve and be still and when I do it, it is one of my greatest joys.

There will always be something competing for our attention- the phone that rings, the dryer that dings the dogs that bark. In the quiet still of unexpected moments, we get to decide the ...


No comments:

Post a Comment